Me Big. You Little.

Desiree Burch is bigger and badder than you. Except when she's smaller and better (with more parentheticals than you can handle).

Monday, April 03, 2006

Rebecca Romijn is...

Really Desperate.




God, I wish I could find the picture from the subway ads where she looks like she's doing her local news coverage of Hurricane Katrina coverage. ("Whee... I'll blow on and off the WB in a matter of weeks, whee...! See if you can catch what's up my dress!")

Too Soon?

I mean, she seems like a lovely use of oxygen and all, but can someone tell her to take of her top and put blue paint back on her torso. That is worth watching. The last thing the world needs right now is another fake news caster.

AND speaking of subway ads. I have to admit I kind of want to see (for free or on bootleg)

Akeelah and the Bee


I saw the subway ad for it on the way to the R train last week. It only has Laurence Fishburne and Angela Bassett's names across the top, and the first thing I could think of for a the catch phrase would be "This time he doesn't beat the shit out of her!"

However, the geniuses at Lion's Gate films have decided to market it to NY commuters as "The Ultimate Family Movie of the Year," which, as friend and resident genius Brian M. points out, is a phrase that doesn't really make sense--the word "ultimate" most commonly meaning, the last of a series. Kind of a dumb thing for a movie about spelling. But if you go all Webster's on it, the word does have connotations of fundamental, elemental, utmost, extreme, greatest possible. I see where they are going, but basically the phrase is saying, "This is the family movie that negates all family movies." This year. And thus we are back to it being a retarded phrase.

The negation factor though, leads me to my initial lay-analysis from seeing tag phrase on the way to the train last week. It's basically saying: "Our family movie can beat the shit out of your family movie!" (Which of course would, in fact, make this film epitomize the the American family.) And thus we come, full circle.

See irony.
(Or perhaps Morrissette, Alanis).

and speaking of beating the shit, it's time for me to "get some sleep."

2 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been seeing that Pepper Dennis all over the place. I'm not interested in watching it, but they've done a great promotion in NYC.

I was hoping they'd have Angela and Laurence play a loving couple this time: they've played broken or bad couples before. Him as the spelling bee coach reminds me of him playing chess with the kid in Searching For Bobby Fischer.

It looks like a cute movie.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger DesTheRay said...

yeah, i was hoping for a loving couple as well. but i mean, girls in south central can't have a father. i mean, why would they even live there then? and would we want to see them succeed? yeah, it's kind of disappointing. as i am sure the movie will be on some kind of comforting level. leave the challenge to the spelling bee competition and some forced, controlled, socio-economic drama. i mean, if they adressed real issues with real controversy they might have to let the public view it for free.

tee hee. true art costs so much less that $10.50/per. tee hee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home